Eating the placenta, or the after birth, is a hot topic right now for mothers. Because the placenta provides the fetus with the necessary vitamins, minerals and nutrients, it makes sense that it could be a nutritional powerhouse for new mothers too.
Here are a few benefits of eating the placenta:
● Reduce the amount of post-natal bleeding
● Increase energy levels
● Increase iron levels
● Lower the risk of postpartum depression by balancing hormones, especially estrogen
● Increases breast milk production
Creative Ways To Use Your Placenta
We’ve talked about the benefits of eating the placenta, but what are the best ways to consume placenta to get all the benefits? Here are just a few options:
1. Pill – The pill is the easiest, most common way to consume placenta. Professionals are able to freeze, thaw, cook and grind it in to individual pills loaded with iron, estrogen, progesterone and B6.
2. Smoothie – Putting pieces of raw placenta in smoothies is another way to reap the benefits of the afterbirth.
3. Pizza – While placenta pizza might not be the first thing you want to order at a pizzeria, there are a lot of recipes for making a pizza topped with cooked placenta.
4. Meat – Instead of slicing up a nice chicken breast for lunch, try cutting the placenta into strips and saute with various ingredients and spices. While most physicians will agree that it’s safe to eat placenta, the pill is the safest way to consume it.
Prior to starting a placenta-eating plan, be sure to consult your OBGYN to find out the potential concerns and risks.